[RASMB] s values as function of cell position

Leech, AP apl3 at york.ac.uk
Wed Aug 9 01:48:59 PDT 2006

John Philo wrote:
> Jack,
>
> I agree with Jack Correia that you should try swapping cells to see whether
> this variation is really associated with the particular cell or the position
> in the rotor. If it is the cell, then also try swapping centerpieces between
> housings.
>
> This issue might be related to convection. First be sure your centerpieces
> have no scratches or roughness inside the channels (this often happens when
> people fill them using syringe needles). Sometimes too when you have a
> severe leak at high speed the center rib gets permanently bowed, which is
> not always easy to see by eye.

Hi John, RASMBers,

Are there good ways of telling that convection has occurred from the data
(apart from irreproducibility)? Are there "tell tale" signs one should look
out for? I understand convection can also be caused by temperature changes.

> One other possibility might be that the alignment marks on your rotor or
> cell housings are incorrect (although if this is truly a problem that did
> not exist 2 years ago that cannot be the cause). I don't know the age of
> your rotor but there was definitely a period some years back where the marks
> on the rotors were not positioned properly. The cell alignment tool sold by
> BITC at U.N.H. would take care of that issue (assuming the slots in the cell
> housings are properly located). Similarly, at another time some centerpieces
> were produced where the key slot was not properly centered between the
> channels.
>
> John

Similarly, is there a way to tell if you have such a rotor or centrepiece?

Best regards to all,

Andrew

--
Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Head of the Molecular
Technology Facility               *   Interactions Laboratory
PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk