[RASMB] s values as function of cell position

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Aug 8 16:23:36 PDT 2006

Jack,

I agree with Jack Correia that you should try swapping cells to see whether
this variation is really associated with the particular cell or the position
in the rotor. If it is the cell, then also try swapping centerpieces between
housings.

This issue might be related to convection. First be sure your centerpieces
have no scratches or roughness inside the channels (this often happens when
people fill them using syringe needles). Sometimes too when you have a
severe leak at high speed the center rib gets permanently bowed, which is
not always easy to see by eye.

One other possibility might be that the alignment marks on your rotor or
cell housings are incorrect (although if this is truly a problem that did
not exist 2 years ago that cannot be the cause). I don't know the age of
your rotor but there was definitely a period some years back where the marks
on the rotors were not positioned properly. The cell alignment tool sold by
BITC at U.N.H. would take care of that issue (assuming the slots in the cell
housings are properly located). Similarly, at another time some centerpieces
were produced where the key slot was not properly centered between the
channels.

John