[RASMB] refractive index increment

Olwyn Byron o.byron at bio.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jul 14 02:50:42 PDT 2006

Hi Faith,

In the following reference

Theisen, A., C. Johann, M. P. Deacon, and S. E.
Harding. 2000. Refractive Increment Data Book.
Nottingham: Nottingham University Press.

There is a value for pneumococcal capsule in
phosphate buffer at 633 nm, 30°C: dn/dc =
0.130-0.139 ml/g

The original reference is Bednar and Hennessey
(1993), Carbohydrate Research, vol 243, p 115.

There was nothing, however, for S. aureus
capsular polysaccharides explicitly, but you
might be able to come up with a figure from some
of the data for many other polysaccharides listed
in the book.  If you know the composition, I
would be happy to look them up for you.  That
said, the book does not have data for e.g.
teichoic acid, N-acetylfucosamine or
N-acetylgalactosaminouronic acid so I'm not sure
if it will have data that will be relevant.  In
any case, I hope this is helpful to you.

Best wishes-
Olwyn Byron