[RASMB] DMSO

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 23 09:14:29 PST 2006

Hi Everyone

Various people working in the NCMH over the last few years have done at
least 100+ runs in 90% aqueous DMSO in filled Epon centerpieces without any
problems at all. {reason: starch is only soluble in 90% DMSO}.

See, for example, Richard F Tester, Trushar Patel & Stephen E Harding (2006)
"Damaged starch chaaracterisation by ultracnbetrifugation" Carb Res 341
130-137

Arthur

--
Arthur Rowe

Hi Norbert
I've done  some sedimentation equilibrium experiments in charcoal filled
epon cells looking at the effects of small molecule inhibitors  on protein
oligomerization where the drugs were dissolved in DMSO.  It was a long time
ago and I don't have access to my old notebooks from Merck, but I believe  I
went up to  at least 2% DMSO. There was no effect on the centerpieces.
Jim