[RASMB] One pure sample, three wavelengths, and differing apparent elution volumes !

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Sat Feb 4 13:33:43 PST 2006

Richard,

What you are describing is exactly what one would expect if your 'pure'
RNase A peak is in fact really composed of multiple unresolved species with
different absorbance spectra, so the leading part of the peak has a
different spectrum from the trailing part.

Is it possible your RNase has gotten clipped by a protease that is removing
some fragments containing aromatic amino acids? (This might happen for
example if it is contaminated by bacteria.)

Other than that I can't really fully explain the apparent elution time
shift, but the following points may be relevant:

1) Unlike your other protein standards RNase A contains no tryptophan. Thus
its absorbance maximum will occur well below 280 nm, and that absorbance
peak will be narrower (essentially that of tyrosine). RNase will also have
proportionally much less absorbance at 293 and 300 nm than the other
proteins.

2) I don't know the details on an Akta, but typically these chromatography
monitors have a much broader band pass than a bench top spectrophotometer (5
nm is typical).

John