[RASMB] Use of SDS to study peptide

Karen Fleming Karen.Fleming at jhu.edu
Thu Jan 12 09:29:19 PST 2006

I tried it a couple of times with glycophorin and the high charge
density of the micelles caused a lot of nonideality in the
sedimentation profiles. We could never fit the data and so abandoned
SDS for other detergents. The charge density also causes nonideality in
fluorescence experiments.
-Karen Fleming
On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Damien Thévenin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I study transmembrane (TM) peptides interaction in various detergents
> (DPC, C8E5, C14-betaine,...) and I would like to know whether SDS is
> an suitable detergent for AUC. Indeed, I haven't seen any paper
> reporting the use of SDS to study TM peptides by AUC. Furthermore, SDS
> is my detergent of choice when I study these same peptides by CD or
> fluorescence. So, does SDS have properties that make it unsuitable for
> AUC?
> Thanks for your help and insights.
>
> Damien
>
> ----------
> Damien Thévenin
>
> Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
> University of Delaware
> Delaware Biotechnology Institute
> 15 Innovation way (room 146)
> Newark, DE 19711
>
> Phone     302.831.4410
> FAX         302.831.3447
> damien at udel.edu

Karen G. Fleming, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Thomas C. Jenkins Department of Biophysics
Johns Hopkins University
3400 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Voice: 410-516-7256