[RASMB] Workshop training for interference optics?

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Dec 16 10:00:22 PST 2005

> Dear Borries,
>
> 	Thanks for your reply. I have forwarded to you a message I received
> from someone at Abbott who would also be interested in this type of training.
> I think that it would be a great idea to do this in more depth at your
> workshop.
>
> 	I would like to attend either your workshop. Is a Windows copy of
> Ultrascan included in the fee for your workshop? I was unable to get
> information about the price of the program from the SciScan site; it appears
> that they might have gone out of business.
>
> 	Thanks,
>
> 	Matt

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to clarify the distribution mode for UltraScan:

UltraScan is freely available without restrictions to anyone.  UltraScan
is now released under the GPL license, and no longer commercially
distributed (for about 2 years now already). I apologize if there are
old weblinks floating around (even on my own site) that may proclaim
differently - ignore that!

It doesn't matter if you are affiliated with a commercial or nonprofit
origanization, it is FREE to anyone. I also make the source code freely
available to anyone who wants it. Since the development of UltraScan is
now supported by several grants, I feel that we don't need to charge for
it. However, I do request that you register your use of the software,
so we can show the funding agencies that the software is of general
interest. This also applies to publications that contain data generated
from UltraScan analysis, which I kindly ask you enter in the UltraScan
reference database found at:

http://www.ultrascan.uthscsa.edu/ultrascan-refs.html

A word about platforms:

In addition to Unix/X11, we have ported UltraScan to the Microsoft
Windows 32-bit platform and also to Mac OS-X. The same GPL license
applies to all versions. We also support SGI Irix, *BSD, and Solaris
for Sparc and Intel. There is also a 64-bit version for AMD Opterons
available. You can get all versions from http://www.ultrascan.uthscsa.edu

We have chosen Linux as our primary development platform and then simply
recompiled the code on other platforms. All of our testing occurs under
Linux, so naturally that is the best debugged platform. We will address
issues brought to our attention with the other platforms, and try to add
requested features, manpower permitting. The current version is 7.2, with
7.3 expected to be released by early February. 7.3 will have support for
fluorescence experiments and new models for equilibrium fitting and finite
element fitting for velocity experiments. I will announce it here on this
list when it is ready.

Regards, and best wishes for a happy holiday season!

-Borries