[RASMB] frictional ratio

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Fri Dec 9 20:10:07 PST 2005

Holger,
	The relationship depends on molar mass. I refer you to
sections 22f and 22g in Tanford's book "Physical Chemistry of
Macromolecules" Wiley & sons  (1961) and equations 22-25 and 22-26
as well as equation 9-40. You can derive the necessary relationship
from those equations. A single value for f/fo does not apply.

Happy Solstice (both winter - and summer, for our antipodean colleagues)

Walter

At 22:45 +0100 12/9/05, Holger Strauss wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>I remember that the frictional ratio for a fully unfolded
>polypeptide chain is around 2.3; but I can't remember the actual
>reference. Any hints?
>
>A happy, peaceful and healthy 2006 to all!
>
>Holger

Walter Stafford
mailto:stafford at bbri.org
direct dial:    617-658-7808