[RASMB] frictional ratio

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Dec 9 15:26:56 PST 2005

Hi Holger,

the actual frictional ratio for an unfolded polypeptide chain is
dependent on the length of the peptide. The longer the chain, the larger
the value. So 2.3 may be correct for a certain length but not others.
Sorry, I don't really have an empirical formula available short of the
rod/ellipsoid formulas, but that may work as a first approximation if
you have an axial ratio for your peptide, which you can get from the
thickness and the length of the polypeptide chain.

You can find a calculator in UltraScan under "Simulation" that will
give you the frictional ratio for a given axial ratio.

Good luck, -Borries