[RASMB] high salt in sedimentation velocity

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Wed Dec 7 06:02:19 PST 2005

Hi Chin,

I doubt that 0.5M NaCl would require it, and I dont' know about the 0.5M
Na2SO4. Unless somebody else has more specific knowledge about this, to be
sure I suggest the following experiment:

Fill a cell with your buffer in the sample side, and water in the reference
side. Run it at the rotor speed of your later experiment with protein
(assuming it is very high), use the interference optics to visualize and
acquire data on the buffer redistribution. Use the single species model in
sedfit to determine an average s and D value for the buffer component. (You
might need that later for the density gradient model.) We're assuming all
buffer components sediment similarly, which may not be exactly true, but
that's the approximation we have to make. I think it's actually reasonably
good for this purpose.

In any case, in sedfit, you'll get the estimated total signal of the
sedimenting material (which will be the buffer component). After having
subtracted all systematic noise components, I would compare that with the
gradient you see (fringes at the bottom minus fringes at the meniscus). For
0.15M NaCl I seem to remember something like a gradient of 10 fringes out
of 100 or so. For example, with these values, it would mean that we'd have
a 10% concentration difference, or less than from about 140 to 160 mM,
across the cell. Now use sednterp and calculate what density difference
that would correspond to, and what the maximal difference in s would be
near to the meniscus and bottom.

If your concern is not the precision of s-values, but perhaps faithful
recovery of trace components, I would do a simulation to mimic
sedimentation of some macromolecular mixture using the experimentally
measured (average) s and D values, along with the density and viscosity
increments of your buffer (which one could take from sednterp, or perhaps
determine experimentally by viscosimetry and densitometry of buffer at
different dilutions).

Regards,
Peter