[RASMB] glycosylation

Jacob Lebowitz lebowitz at helix.nih.gov
Mon Nov 14 14:53:20 PST 2005

Dear All,

The Lewis and Junghans and Shire, S.J. approaches are the same
methodological analysis using the measurement of buoyant molar mass but the
equations are identical but cast differently. I have used the Lewis, M. S.,
and R. P. Junghans approach several times for viral glycoproteins with very
good results. In order to determine the molar mass of the glycoprotein you
need to know the molar mass of the protein. Obviously no problem if your
protein is a monomer but if you have an oligomer and want to determine
stoichiometry you have to test different models. You probably can
discriminate oligomeric states based on a reasonable value for the average
glycosylation per N and O linked sites. This worked for me, however it is
wise to get the molar mass of the glycoprotein monomer from mass spec to
confirm the SE results.

Jack