[RASMB] window glass suppliers

Virgil Schirf schirfv at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Nov 10 07:48:02 PST 2005

Dear Mircea,

Try Meller Optics at melleroptics.com for more reasonable prices for
quartz and sapphire windows. With regards to breaking quartz windows
with the use of titanium centerpieces, you might want to try to torquing
the cell to 110 - 115 inch-pounds rather than 120 inch-pounds and make
sure the gaskets are new. I'm assuming you are doing high speed runs so
you might also want to try using regular epon-charcoal, 2-sector
centerpieces making sure that the menisci are closely matched and the
sectors are almost full so that there is no pressure difference between
sectors. Tom Laue's group at CAMIS also manufacture an epon centerpiece
rated to 60,000 rpm as well.

Sincerely,

Virgil