Fwd: Re: [RASMB] peak in sedimentation velocity scans at high protein conc.

Allen Minton minton at helix.nih.gov
Mon Oct 31 08:00:59 PST 2005

Hello RASMBers:

I'd like to call your attention to the paper by Gonzalez et al:
"Effect of large refractive index gradients on the performance of
absorption optics in the Beckman XL-A/I analytical ultracentrifuge:
an experimental study", Anal. Biochem. 313: 133-136; 2003.  The good
news is that you can get decent equilibrium (not velocity) gradients
at high concentrations providing that the RI gradient is not so high
that you observe a "black band" in the absorbance gradient.  BTW,
even with a black band you can get pretty decent weight-average sed
coefficients, as mentioned by Peter Schuck.

Allen Minton