[RASMB] peak in sedimentation velocity scans at high protein conc.

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Fri Oct 28 11:44:10 PDT 2005

Hi all,
Andy, Jack and John are right. This is a schlieren phenomenon, and is a
consequence of the gradient in refractive index (gradient in
concentration), and not the concentration per se. The early XLAs had a
shorter "snout" on the slit assembly and the schlieren peaks were a
common feature. This problem was rectified by Beckman very early on (by
machine #11, I think). Arthur Rowe, Steve Harding and Helmut Colfen used
the schlieren peak to get S for a polysaccharide sample as I recall.
In any case, your best option is to analyze data where the gradient has
diminished sufficiently for the peak to disappear. If this does not
occur, it would suggest that your sample has a large amount of
hydrodynamic nonideality (i.e. a graph of s versus c has a steep
negative slope). Depending on what question you are addressing, you may
not be able to answer the question readily by sedimentation velocity.
Best wishes,
Tom