[RASMB] peak in sedimentation velocity scans at high protein conc.

Andy Baron andyb at bmb.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Oct 28 06:04:48 PDT 2005

Norbert,
In the early scans of the highest protein samples it looks as if there
is a very steep boundary which deflects the incident light, causing
the spike. I would be surprised if 6g/l protein produced such a
steep boundary; what was in your buffer? (We saw such a
phenomenon when spinning a sample in the presence of 0.1%
detergent. The micelles produced a displacement of 70 fringes, and
spikes in the absorbance scans. See attached gif file.)

Cheers,
Andy

Andy Baron
Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology
Faculty of Biological Sciences
University of Leeds
LEEDS
LS2 9JT