[RASMB] Sedfit Workshop

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Fri Oct 7 09:50:00 PDT 2005

Hi David,
thanks for your feedback.  You're welcome.  Thanks also to John Burgner and
Alexandra Solovyova.

We've planned to continue having workshops like these twice a year.  We
have not determined the exact date for the next spring workshop, yet, but
for anyone interested, please check occasionally the website
http://www.nih.gov/od/ors/dbeps/PBR/AUCworkshop.htm or
http://www.analyticalultracentrifugation.com/default.htm
.   I think we will probably also have one before the AUC conference in
London next year, maybe in a different format.

As you say, there's much more to sedfit and sedphat than just c(s) and
equilibrium analysis which could be taught in a few hours.  The
self-learning tutorials on the website can get one up to speed with the
basic features, and certainly all functions of sedphat and sedfit are
described on the website, but there's a lot of advanced topics that are
simply easier to learn in the workshop.  It also ties in closely with
general AUC strategies, experimental protocols, and the biological systems
of interest.   There's no push-button recipe for any sedimentation
analysis, and in my view the goal is to gain and exchange experience.

The workshop you attended was the advanced workshop, for which familiarity
with AUC and basic operation of sedfit is prerequisite.  For newcomers, we
also had (and will have in the future) an introductory workshop in the lab
that covers the basics, like assembling cells, setting up a run in the
centrifuge, and basic theory and data analysis.  It takes place the day
preceding the advanced workshop.  Everybody is welcome and there's no
registration for that.

Best,
Peter