[RASMB] one or two components

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Mon Aug 1 10:29:01 PDT 2005

Judith,

I think this has to do with limited information in the sedimentation data
from not enough separation.

Assuming that there's really most of the material sedimenting at 4.2 S,
after the first 4.5 hours a lot of this will be gone, but there is still
significant sedimentation of the slower sedimenting tail from the 3 S
component.  Also, the later data have a lot of information on the trailing
part of the diffusion boundary, which can help to determine f/f0 and to
discriminate diffusion from sedimentation. Finally, including scans where
everything is gone will remove the correlation with very low s-values (<
1S) and the baseline offsets.

Therefore, including all the scans so that everything is depleted is
certainly a good idea and will improve the information a lot, even though
it seems to the eye that some or most of the material has depleted and the
scans are 'only' baselines.

There's a fundamental limitation of looking at relatively small molecules
at low rotor speed.  For the same experiment, simulating the profiles one
would expect at 50,000 rpm instead of 42,000 rpm, there's significantly
better separation for an equivalent time-point (i.e. major boundary
starting to disappear).  This is even better at 60,000 rpm, where one would
expect baseline-separated peaks for these conditions.   That means that one
can get away with not including all the scans, if for the scans to be
considered there's already sufficient separation.  In your case,
fortunately the tail of the data set just seems to make the difference.

Despite Beckman's 42,000 rpm rating of the standard charcoal-filled Epon
centerpieces, we regularly use them at 50 and 60,000 rpm for years now
without any noticeable detrimental effect.  The resolution goes with the
square of the rotor speed, and that helps a lot.  One just has to watch for
leaks (which can be done by prior testing at lower rpm).

With the given experimental data, I would try to improve the analysis by
including knowledge of the molar mass (it seems you know that there are
45000 and 90000 Da species).  I would try that with the hybrid
discrete/continuous model in SEDPHAT, using the continuous segments to
describe trace components outside the species of interest.  That will
pre-determine the diffusional spread, and might help unraveling the
underlying s-values.

Regards,
Peter

At 09:01 AM 8/1/2005, you wrote:
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>The older archived RASMB emails can be found at:
>http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_archives
>and current archives at
>http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/pipermail/rasmb/
>Search All the Archives at:
>http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_search.html
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>I've been analyzing some velocity runs that were done at 42 000 rpm, 15 C,
>for about 14 hours. When Iuse Sedfit and analyze the first 49 scans only
>(the first 4.5 hours of the run), I find one, slightly asymmetric peak,
>with S = 3.98 and a lot of material at less that 1.0 S. If, however, I
>use the first 100 scans (9 hours of centrifuging) or all 150 scans, I have
>two peaks, not totally separated, with S values of 2.93 (about 20% of the
>total) and 4.19. In addition, the material at less than 1.0 S has almost
>disappeared. Is this the way you expect species of about 45000 and 90000
>to behave during a velocity run? Does this mean that one should never try
>to use Sedfit unless the run has gone long enough that everything is at
>the botton of the cell? Judith
>
>Judith Kornblatt
>Dept of Chemistry and Biochemistry
>Concordia University
>7141 Sherbrooke Ouest
>Montreal, Qc H4B 1R6
>Tel: 1 514 848 2424, ext 3384  FAX: 1 514 848 2868

Peter Schuck, PhD
Division of Bioengineering & Physical Science
National Institutes of Health
Bldg. 13 Rm. 3N17
13 South Drive
Bethesda, MD 20892 - 5766