[RASMB] radial shift

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Wed Jun 29 10:25:00 PDT 2005

Joris,

That is such a large shift I think the only likely explanation is a
mechanical problem in the radial drive motor-potentiometer. Perhaps
something is loose and is producing a variable backlash when the motor
changes directions. This sort of thing has been seen for the wavelength
drive, which has a similar design.

To convince Beckman this is a real problem and not something to do with your
samples I suggest that you do repeated intensity scans of the counterbalance
and show that the precision edges at 5.85 and 7.15 cm appear to move.

With regard to analyzing the data you have, in effect your radial
calibration is uncertain by at least 0.2 to 0.4 mm, so the molecular mass
values will have a fractional error of roughly (.4/65)^2, which is probably
smaller than the uncertainty in your knowledge of the correct vbar.

John