[RASMB] liposome

Kirk C Aune kaune at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 24 10:18:01 PDT 2005

Richard M Thomas wrote:

> The older archived RASMB emails can be found at:
> http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_archives
> and current archives at
> http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/pipermail/rasmb/
> Search All the Archives at:
> http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_search.html
>

> Dear Christine,
> Can't help much, but some years ago I did play with liposomes (LUVs)
> although never with any success. I don't see why you shouldn't try
> too, hopefully with better results - whether you get anywhere may
> depend on composition, size and encapsulated material. There are some
> things to bear in mind - the most prominent being vbar. vbars for
> typical phospholipids are high which means that, certainly for SUVs,
> you should observe flotation while, as the vesicles become larger you
> may move close to neutral buoyancy - we observed both. All our
> vesicles were 'empty'; entrapment of other components would also have
> an effect depending on their composition and concentration.
> I have no idea what might happen if you move to the GUV size range and
> would interested in hearing whether anybody has any views on this.
>
> Regards to all
> Richard

The following article might be relevant to what you are doing:

Physical Properties of the Dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine Vesicle and of
Complexes Formed by Its Interaction with Apolipoprotein C-III.
Biochemistry, (1977) 16, 2151.  Kirk C. Aune, Joseph G. Gallagher,
Antonio M. Gotto, Jr. and Joel D. Morrisett

Kirk C. Aune