[RASMB] liposome

Richard M Thomas rthomas at mat.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 23 10:09:00 PDT 2005

Dear Christine,
Can't help much, but some years ago I did play with liposomes (LUVs)
although never with any success. I don't see why you shouldn't try too,
hopefully with better results - whether you get anywhere may depend on
composition, size and encapsulated material. There are some things to
bear in mind - the most prominent being vbar. vbars for typical
phospholipids are high which means that, certainly for SUVs, you should
observe flotation while, as the vesicles become larger you may move
close to neutral buoyancy - we observed both. All our vesicles were
'empty'; entrapment of other components would also have an effect
depending on their composition and concentration.
I have no idea what might happen if you move to the GUV size range and
would interested in hearing whether anybody has any views on this.

Regards to all
Richard
--
Dr Richard M Thomas