[RASMB] Help on AUC (sedimentation velocity)

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Apr 12 10:46:01 PDT 2005

Yu-Chia (and all),

Although Borries couldn't read the file (it is one from my XLGraph utility)
he still got it right, you seem to have a problem with your radial scans
that caused a sudden shift of the meniscus. You may have some dirt
underneath the slit assembly. In addition to that hardware issue, it is
likely that you would see some optical distortions near the meniscus and
perhaps at the base of the cell too from the sedimentation of the ammonium
sulfate.

But if that is all the data you took then you only completed less than 20%
of the run (the boundary only made it <20% of the way to the cell base)!
With all that ammonium sulfate present the sedimentation will be very, very
slow. I would run that experiment at 60000 rpm (actually I would do that
even without the ammonium sulfate).

Finally, for your stated purpose you really need to be doing sedimentation
equilibrium, not sedimentation velocity. It impossible to tell whether you
have a reversible monomer-dimer system from a velocity experiment at any one
concentration, and quite difficult to prove that hypothesis even with
velocity data over a wide range of concentration.

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories