[RASMB] Data analysis with Sedfit: Smin setting affect the sedimentation profile and how we should deal with it?

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Wed Apr 6 18:09:00 PDT 2005

Yi-Ming,

Those results don't make much sense to me. Are you sure you are fitting the
same region of the data, and were these perhaps using fairly different f/f0
values? Notice that the first fit (starting from 0.2 S) has a significantly
lower rms residual. Taken at face value, that suggests that you really do
need to include some slowly-sedimenting material to explain your data (you
haven't shown us the region below 3 S so it's hard to judge what the fitter
wants to put there). But offhand I don't see why omitting the slowly
sedimenting fraction would lead to such big differences in the 10-20 S
range.

Certainly I find that many antibody samples do contain some fragments that
sediment at 1-2 S. Further, if your samples contain Tween-20 or Tween-80
then you will likely see sedimentation of micelles in that region too. So
you may well really need to allow for species below 2 S to explain your
data.

One key thing you have not told us is whether either of these distributions
actually produces a good fit of the raw data (low systematic residuals). If
neither is a good fit, neither will be reliable with regard to amounts of
minor components.

John Philo