[RASMB] tapered tips for loading samples

Qin Zou heat-capacity at indy.rr.com
Sun Apr 3 22:40:01 PDT 2005

Dear all,
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I did find John Philo’s detailed
description on sequencing gel loading tips after I sent out my request.
However, it does seem that there are even more options out there. Again, I
appreciate such quick responses.

Chin

P.S. I summarized some of the responses below:

One solution I used was drilling out the holes of the centerpiece with a #57
drill. Then the gel loading tip work fine.
John Gunther

We use the rounded gel loading tips. The last batch I bought were from Boca
Scientific (I don't have the part number, but if you want, I can email that
to you tomorrow) and I piggyback those on a 1000 ul tip for loading cells
for sedimentation velocity runs. There are older centerpieces with very
small filling holes that tips will not fit into.
Beckman does sell a tip for syringes that has narrow tubing, but these can
get expensive unless other companies sell them for much less.

Hope that helps,

Virgil Schirf
CAUMA
UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
San Antonio, TX 78229-3900

We use PGC Scientifics (Frederick MD) tips PGC# 107-003 Multi-Flex
Microcapillary tips Round. These work very well. You may want to consider
slightly enlarging the filling holes for the tips that you are using but it
is probably easier to switch to the PGC tips above.

Jack Lebowitz

We successfully use Gelloader tips ordered from Fisher Scientific. They go
to the bottom of the cells.
Christine Wandrey

  _____