[RASMB] Elevated temperature operation with a turbomoledcular pump.

Steve Shire shire.steve at gene.com
Mon Mar 14 12:48:00 PST 2005

Hi Walter and fellow RASMB members,
     Although we have not done a lot of work at elevated temperatures I
would be interested in this option. Walter could you respond to Andrew
Leech's comments? Thanks.
            Steve
On Mar 11, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Leech, AP wrote:

> -----------
> The older archived RASMB emails can be found at:
> http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_archives
> and current archives at
> http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/pipermail/rasmb/
> Search All the Archives at:
> http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_search.html
> -----------
>
> Walter Stafford wrote:
>> Dear RASMB-ers
>>     I have been testing a turbomolecular pump as a replacement for
>> the standard diffusion pump on the XL-I. I am writing to report the
>> results of that experiment.
>
> Hello Walter and RASMBers,
>
> I have asked our service engineers a couple of times why Beckman had
> not
> investigated this option, without any really cogent reply, so I thought
> up a few potential objections myself:
>
> 1. Modifications to power supply/control are more complex than one
> might think (eg power failure cases);
>
> 2. Turbo pumps are notoriously sensitive to "bits" of solid material,
> as the clearances of the blades are very small for good performance.
> Dust etc entering from the chamber could be a problem for long term
> reliability;
>
> 3. Turbo pumps have been known to fail catastrophically, shedding bits
> of metal into the vacuum space.
>
> I would be interested to know if the ATP80 is a specially robust model
> of turbo, whether you included any screens or filters etc. Otherwise I
> think it is a long overdue development, and I'd be happy to get one
> (subject as ever to budget constraints!)
>
> Best regards to all,
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Laboratory Manager
> Technology Facility               *  Molecular Interactions Laboratory
> Department of Biology (Area 15)   *  Tel   : +44 (0)1904 328723
> University of York                *  Fax   : +44 (0)1904 328804
> PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk

Steven J. Shire, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist and Group Leader
Pharmaceutical Research and Development Dept.
MS #96A
Genentech, Inc.
1 DNA Way
S. San Francisco, CA 94080