[RASMB] Stuck screw ring

Neil Errington N.Errington at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 3 04:41:01 PST 2005

Hi Luitgard

this kind of problem has come up a few times before. One thing that used to
work for me and I know quite a few others have suggested it is to chill the
cell (e.g. overnight at 4C). That has worked well in the past and freed the
cell parts up.

If that doesn't work, and you don't particularly care about the sample
inside the cell, a good spray with WD40 and leaving it to soak into the
screw thread can help, but you'll need to clean the cell very thoroughly
afterwards

To stop it jamming it can be useful to place a tiny amount of grease
(spinkote) on the threads of the screw ring every now and then.

Hope some of this helps

Neil
--
Dr. Neil Errington