[RASMB] Temperature calibration

David Hayes hayes at bbri.org
Wed Dec 22 12:21:01 PST 2004

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for being a volunteer to do the coordinating.  It is interesting to
me to see how the temperature control (and other factors) affect the
accuracy and precision of measurements made in the Beckman centrifuges.

I am working with Walter Stafford at BBRI.  I can volunteer to load the
cells and run some samples (Walter hasn't said if he is on the list yet or
not, so I'll just email now anyway).  Since we have an XLA and an XLI,
would it be better to run on both machines?

I am also willing to be a repeat data analysis person for the group of data
sets (using Sedfit and/or Sedanal).

Another factor affecting the final data output on different centrifuges is
radial calibration.  Following Walter (and I believe John Philo's) advice,
I never do radial calibrations except at 3000 rpm for either interference
or absorbance systems.  I am also rather lazy and do not perform radial
calibrations on the interference system very often.  Recently, Rick Cole
was in the guts of our XLI working with the vacuum system, but after that
it really needed a radial calibration.  Yet in Connecticut this summer,
Jeff Lary said that their protocol was to do radial calibrations with water
blanks at speed before every run; he seemed concerned with rotor balance
and the true center of rotation with loaded cells.  Simply because of rotor
stretch, these two protocols for radial calibration will result in
different radius measurements for the final data sets.

Radial calibration and stability may not be a large source of error, but I
think that the protocol for running the cells ought to specify the radial
calibration protocol, or at least keep track of how various labs do it.

When doing blank subtraction with some of our older window pieces, it is
obvious that the pits in the window come out at different radial positions
even when the blank was taken at the same speed as the data scan.  I also
tried using the first few scans of an equilibrium run (a low molecular
weight sample made the boundary position obvious, so I did not use that
part of the blank subtracted data in the fit) as a blank and found again
that bumps on the blank turned into depression-bump pairs when subtracted.

If temperature control turns out to be a large factor of error in this
study, I wonder if there is some kind of thermometer that could be
"stuffed" into a cell.  Is the precision of the optical system good enough
that a cell could be thermometer?  (Measure the expansion of alcohol or
mercury, maybe with one of Jim Coles pointy cells turned around.  Or would
it be possible to load some liquid crystal thermometer material and get it
to change color.  Or something else with a melting temperature in the
centrifuge operating range.)

Anyway, it will be fun to see the data from this project.

David Hayes