[RASMB] standard tests; should ABRF be involved?

pschuck at helix.nih.gov pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Sat Dec 18 13:59:00 PST 2004

Regarding a standardized test, I believe it is a good idea, and I totally
agree with John's concerns about analysis and that we either should not do
it or spend enough effort and thought to make it worthwhile.  For the
latter, my suggestions would be

1) run the sample in triplicate on each machine (in the same run) to get a
feeling for the variance caused by things other than temperature (e.g.
analysis, centerpiece imperfections, imperfections in matching the buffer
volume, etc.)  In addition, each participant could optionally do
repetitions of the run to assess run-to-run variability.  Could also
invovle two categories of data - absorbance/interference detection.

2) we should establish a very detailed protocol for the experiment,
standardizing rotor speed, sample volume, temperature equilibration
periods, etc.

3) Following John's idea, the data analysis should be performed centrally
by one or more persons, blind to the identity of each run, each analysis
person analyzing the complete set of all runs performed.  (I'd volunteer
for the analysis.)  We could put the data anonymously on a website, and
each participant, knowing the code of his/her own machines, could judge
him/herself if a centrifuge is an outlier and decide whether to introduce
a temperature correction factor or not.

4) I propose we should all do the spectroscopic temperature calibration
method, as well.  That would address if deviations from the mean of the
experimental s-values for a machine does actually correlate with a
detected calibration error (addressing the concern about statistical
accuracy of the calibration).  I wonder if that, too, could be anlayzed by
a single person, without access to the results of the s-values and blind
to the origin of the data sets.  I'm not familiar with the method, but
would it be possible and advantageous to share the same cell (if it's
sealed and stable enough) and mail it from one site to the other?

5) the choice of sample and sample stability is probably critical factor.
I would suggest something large, maximizing the sharpness of the boundary
and the possibility to calculate the meniscus position in the data
analysis.  Also, if a large molecule aggregates it would be easier to
identify the monomer peak and confine the analysis to that. How about an
antibody (perhaps donation)?  We could make solutions and reference buffer
in a single lab, testing for sufficient stability over a couple of weeks,
and then mailing them out to each participant who would agree to run it
within a certain period of time?

In this proposed scenario, we would need
* a donation of protein sample
* a lab to do the preliminary protein stability test and mail the sample out
* enough participating labs (machines) to get a good statistics
* a site to gather the data, encode it, put it on a website, and send it
out for the data analysis
* data analysis sites for calibration spectra
* data analysis sites for velocity runs
* a site to do the statistical analysis of all results and the data subsets
* a coordinator of these tasks

In my view, ideally these tasks should all be done by different labs, and
there's probably several missing aspects.

Regarding the organization of such a study, although in my view ABRF
involvement could be very valuable, I don't think we necessarily need a
formal structure or entity for this particular study.  It appears to me it
could probably be handled very well by our RASMB group, since we already
have an excellent communication and discussion forum established.

In my view, we would only need a volunteer to collect all suggestions from
this discussion, to put up for discussion all additional points of
concern, consolidate it in a detailed proposal, solicit participants and
volunteers for the different tasks.

Overall, it would certainly be a lot of work, but if we can divide it up
it may be feasible.

Seasonal Greetings,

Peter Schuck