[RASMB] Stiff equilibrium centrepieces

straussh at gmx.de straussh at gmx.de
Sat Nov 20 17:17:00 PST 2004

Andrew,

I wonder wether the prolonged use of ethanol wouldn't cause the flexibiliser
of the CPs to be washed out, and/or the ethanol to diffuse into the epon and
thus cause the swelling-cum-stiffness? That problem would be more pronounced
with 6-channel CPs because of their large surface/volume ratio.
Maybe placing the CPs in an exsiccator over Na or something else absorbing
ethanol could help? Alternatively, grinding some material off the outside of
the CP?

Cheers,
Holger

http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_search.html

> Hello all from the gloomy north of England,
>
> I'm having some trouble with my equilibrium centrepieces - they are
> getting more and more tight in the housings. I don't think we are
> doing anything unusual with them - they are washed carefully in dilute
> decon, water and finally rinsed with ethanol and left to dry. There
> is no obvious deposit or change to the plastic (charcoal filled epon).
> Velocity centrepieces seem to fit ok in the housings so I don't think
> they are the problem.
>
> Has anybody had the same difficulty, and even better, does anybody have
> a remedy for obstinate centrepieces?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Laboratory Manager
> Technology Facility               *  Molecular Interactions Laboratory
> Department of Biology (Area 15)   *  Tel   : +44 (0)1904 328723
> University of York                *  Fax   : +44 (0)1904 328804
> PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk

GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum supergünstigen Komplett-Preis!