[RASMB] Stiff equilibrium centrepieces

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Wed Nov 17 12:24:00 PST 2004

Andrew and RASMB,

I often find that over time the centerpieces become too snug in the
housings, although for me this is more common with the velocity ones. I'm
not sure exactly what causes this problem. I think in part it is a true
swelling of the epoxy resin with water (most epoxies will do this to some
extent), since it seems to get a bit less when they sit dry for long
periods. At least for velocity centerpieces there also seems to be some
distortion over time (if you put a micrometer on the outside you will see
they are no longer perfectly round).

My solution is simply to remove a little resin from the outside with a fine
sandpaper or carborundum paper. I usually use a 320 grit carborundum paper
(available in the US at any hardware store).

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories