[RASMB] An early Christmas puzzle

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 08:45:01 PST 2004

Greeting RASMBers -

Here is a puzzling little matter on which
comments are invited. It's hardly a new point
being made, so much as an old one wrapped up in
AUC paper.

We all know that the cheerful assumption that
errors in measured quantities are normally
distributed is a hazardous one. In the extreme
case of 'rounding error' (in computational work)
a simple range defines the region in which values
may lie, as compared to a bell-shaped curve with
(increasingly less likely) values going off to
infinity either side. For physical
instrumentation with quality control defining
limits, a bell-shaped curve is also unlikely to
be a good representation of distribution of
errors.

Now, the temperature control in an AUC is the
most important factor limiting the estimation of
absolute s values, its magnitude equalling all
other factors put together (Errington & Rowe,
2003). The Beckman XL instruments have a stated
accuracy of ±0.5º in temperature. For which
assurance one devoutly trusts there is evidence,
with a QA backing. In other words, we can be
confident that if we accept the actual
temperature as being equal to that stated, then
we will not be more than 0.5º in error. Walter's
temperature measurement method does not suggest
otherwise, although obviously a significant
number of XLs was not sampled.

So here is the question. We have 3 XL's running
here, and the range in s values when we estimate
s for the identical samples in different
instruments suggests that two of them differ by
an amount which is approaching 1º. Which is
perfectly consistent with the machine spec. Bad
news? Well, maybe not. If we accept that ±0.5º as
an outer limit, then for each estimate from one
XL we can discount that half of the potential
variation which lies outside the bounds specified
by the other estimate. Indeed, if we push this
argument to its limit,  we can discard all values
for the 'true' temperature which lie at all
significantly away from the mean of the two
values!

So - is this a paradox? Given the type of error
distribution expected, can we really accept that
it is better, using 2 instruments, to get 2
estimates for an s value that dis-agree than 2
which agree? Or is this believing in Santa Claus?

Regards to all

Arthur

N Errington, A J Rowe (2003)  "Probing
conformation and conformational change in
proteins is optimally undertaken in relative
mode" European Biophysics Journal 32 (5) 511-517
Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology
NCMH Business Centre
University of Nottingham
School of Biosciences
Sutton Bonington
Leicestershire LE12 5RD   UK

Tel:        +44 (0)115 951 6156
           +44 (0)116 271 4502
Fax:        +44 (0)115 951 6157
email:      arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Web:        www.nottingham.ac.uk/ncmh/business

*************************
Arthur Rowe
Lab at Sutton Bonington
tel: +44 115 951 6156
fax: +44 115 951 6157

This message has been scanned but we cannot
guarantee that it and any attachments are free
from viruses or other damaging content: you are
advised to perform your own checks. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham
may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.