FW: [RASMB] question about WinNONLIN

James Cole jcole at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Sun Nov 14 21:30:08 PST 2004

Dear Satinder:
I agree with Peter Schuck that you should do a velocity run to see if the
sample contains a low molecular weight contaminant. The presence of a
contaminant would give rise to some systematic deviations in your fit of the
equilibrium data to a monomer-dimer model. There are some other
possibilities you may also want to check out:

1) You need to look at the confidence intervals in order to tell if the
change in the dissociation constant is significant when you allow sigma to
float. The reduced molecular weight (sigma) and the dissociation constant
are correlated parameters and it may be that the confidence intervals are
very broad when you allow them to float such that the change in the
dissociation constant is not statistically significant.

2) The change in sigma is about 15% when you let it float. Assuming that
this change is statistically significant, it is a bit outside the usual
error range. However, if there's a slight mistake your calculations you
could end with a 15% error. I assume that you are determining the predicted
sigma of 0.95 using a calculated vbar and solvent density. Typically you can
calculate v-bar to about 1-3% accuracy from the amino acid composition and
the solvent density calculations are certainly better than 1%.  Given that a
1% error in v-bar or solvent density translates to a 3% error in sigma, you
would end up with 15% error in sigma if your  v-bar or density calculation
is off a bit more than normal.

3) I noticed that the loading concentrations run up to 1.2 mg/ml. Assuming
that the protein has a typical specific absorbance, you would end up with a
very high absorbance at the cell bottom, particularly at the higher
concentrations. Be sure to truncate the data at high OD to avoid problems
from nonlinearity in the optical system. I don't trust the linearity of the
absorbance optics at 280 nm above 1.8-2 OD, and if the lamp is dirty you
would do worse.

Good luck,
Jim Cole