[RASMB] Re: WinMatch

Karen Fleming Karen.Fleming at jhu.edu
Fri Oct 1 09:05:00 PDT 2004

Here's my two cents...
For our sedimentation equilibrium experiments, we always, always, always
collect a scan every hour. This way, we will always be able to run
WinMatch to determine whether or not the experiment is at sedimentation
equilibrium. And if weird things happen during the run we will have a
time estimate for them. Once the protein is purified and loaded into the
cells, collecting the data is essentially free, and so I collect as much
as possible.

Normally, our samples are stable, and so we do not need to reduce the
time to equilibrium, so we worry less about predicting what that time
will be - we just determine it. Whenever we are conducting experiments
on a new system, we typically set it up and let the first speed go
overnight and then check it with WinMatch in the morning. We then change
the speed or let it go for a few more hours, depending on the shape of
the curve from WinMatch.

Also, whenever there's any trouble fitting any of the sedimentation
equilibrium data, I always insist that my students demonstrate to me
that the data are at equilibrium using WinMatch. There's no point to
analyzing non-equilibrium data with equilibrium equations.

Another advantage of WinMatch is that the rmsd resulting from the
comparison of several equilibrium scans gives us a feel for how high the
noise in the data is going to be, and whether or not we need to think
about cleaning our lamp.

Regards,

Karen F.

--