[RASMB] time to reach equilibrium

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Fri Oct 1 07:37:00 PDT 2004

Dear Arthur et alias,

	Such a application does indeed exist. Although it doesn't run
continuously, it can be run at anytime to check for equilibrium. It
is called WinMatch (a Windows version of an even earlier program
called Match). WinMatch is available from the National Analytical
Ultracentrifugation Facility (NAUF) at the University if Connecticut
at http://vm.uconn.edu/~wwwbiotc/AUFFTP.HTML

WinMatch essentially performs least squares fits of a series of scans
(usually taken every hour) against the last scan taken (the reference
scan) and fits for horizontal (precession and vibrations) and
vertical (vibrations and other variations in baseline) offsets. The
result is a plot of the RMS deviation vs. time. This curve looks a
lot like an exponential decay which tends toward zero slope as
equilibrium is reached.  It is quite useful for identifying systems
that fail to reach equilibrium.

Although calculations are handy for planning an experiment, it is the
empirical determination of attainment of equilibrium that should be
the deciding factor. WinMatch works very well and has been available
from the NAUF for many years now.

Walter

Walter Stafford
mailto:stafford at bbri.org