[RASMB] Time to equilibrium calculator

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Sep 28 08:43:01 PDT 2004

While we are on the topic of equilibrium times, I would like to point out
that UltraScan contains a module to calculate equilibrium times based
on a finite element model for a series of speeds made in succession,
where one speeds's equilibrium concentration is used as the initial
concentration for the next speed. The program needs molecular weight
and vbar as an input, and then allows the user to select a hydrodynamic
model (sphere, oblate/prolate ellipsoid or long rod) and define an axial
ratio. From that, the program will calculate s and D.

The user also can specify the buffer, channel, and column height (or a
custom position) in the cell, and select either from a range of speeds or
sigma values. We have used this approach with great success to pre-program
the XLA for an entire equilibrium run in advance to save time. To assure
equilibrium is indeed attained (for some very slowly equilibrating
systems) I recommend to als program in a second scan that can be overlaid
to confirm that the equilibrium condition has been reached.

More information is available at:

http://www.ultrascan.uthscsa.edu/manual/calc_equiltime.html

and

http://www.ultrascan.uthscsa.edu/manual/predict1.html