[RASMB] question power failure XL-A

Beld, Joris beld at org.chem.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 13 03:06:00 PDT 2004

Dear all,

Sorry to bother you all with this but we have a rather strange problem with our XL-A and I was wondering whether this is common or something specific for our machine/setup. (and I cannot find any information online)

In the past two months (the XL-A was running continuously) it happened four times that during the night the XL-A crashed (only rotation; vacuum was still okay) due to a 'power failure'. Interesting is that in all four cases the weather turned from very nice summer weather to showers and thunderstorms overnight. I know this seems to be a strange correlation but I cannot think of another reason. My question is: is this normal for an XL-A? The following question is of course how to solve this? I already thought on putting a permanent oscilloscope on the power input to log the current (and another idea was to use a UPS between the power connector and the XL-A, but do these exist for high power connections?) but that is not so easy with the high power connection the XL-A uses. Anyone a good idea how to check my hypothesis and how to fix it? Any help welcome!

Kind regards,

Joris Beld

--
Joris Beld