[RASMB] diffusion coefficients

Holger Strauss strauss at fmp-berlin.de
Mon Aug 9 11:02:00 PDT 2004

Hi everybody,

does anyone know of a good reference and method to determine
experimentally AVERAGE  diffusion coefficients with the centrifuge?
We're currently examining a small (1.3 kDa) molecule which
self-associates, for which we need the average diffusion coefficient at
certain concentrations. I'm aware of the references in Chervenka's book,
but I couldn't find one for average values. We can get reasonable c(S)
distributions - maybe an oversimplification, but would that weight-average
S do for a weight-average D?

Greetings to all, Holger

Holger Strauss

Forschungsinstitut fuer Molekulare Pharmakologie (FMP)
Robert-Roessle Strasse 10

13125 Berlin/Germany

Tel: +49 (0)30 94793 - 223 (office)
                     - 316 (lab)

Fax: +49 (0)30 94793 - 169

Science is spectrum analysis; art is photosynthesis.

                                                    Karl Kraus