[RASMB] interference optics

judithk at vax2.concordia.ca judithk at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Jul 21 15:09:00 PDT 2004

I'm trying to learn how to set up our XLi for interference optics and I
have several questions:
1)There is a main menu "interference" which includes "laser setup"; within
that menu, one can set up the laser for each of the cells and for the
scallop. Or, one can go to each cell, click on "details", then on "laser
setup" and do the same setup. As far as I can tell, the setup you do in
one menu does not show up in the other one. The question - which takes
precedent and which one should be used? Do you have to enter the same
settings in both?
2) What factors go into deciding on the laser duration? It is obvious that
it affects the overall brightness of the fringe pattern; is there anything
else to consider when setting the duration?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Judith Kornblatt
Dept of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Concordia University
7141 Sherbrooke Ouest
Montreal, Qc H4B 1R6
Tel: 1 514 848 2424, ext 3384   FAX: 1 514 848 2868