[RASMB] 3 mm centerpieces

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Mon Jul 19 08:29:01 PDT 2004

Hi Bo,
If you change the centerpiece thickness, it will affect the optimal
focal point. The extent of the effects will depend on the gradient in
refractive index, not on the concentration per se. The 1964 Yphantis
paper in Biochemistry includes a thorough analysis of the effects, based
on the work of Swensson. It is the third-order aberrations that are most
important, not the second order (even order aberrations tend to be
minimal). The upshot is that all aberrations up to the seventh order are
minimized by focusing at the plane in the sample that is 2/3 of the way
from the light source to the exit plane. The dominant effect, called
Weiner skewing, results in a distortion of the radial axis. That is, if
you had a glass ruler in the parallel light beam positioned between the
lightsource and the sample, the rulings would appear to scrunch together
in the regions where there were sharp concentration (refractive)
gradients  in the sample. This effect applies to both the absorbance and
interference optics. For the interference optics, gradients exceeding
~50 fringes/mm should be edited out of a data set. For the absorbance
system, it is a good idea to scan at a wavelength away from any
absorbance to see if the baseline shows any bulges (due to schlieren
effects) in the vicinity of a concentration gradient. If the baseline is
bulged, you should not include those data in an analysis.

The key is to avoid steep concentration gradients if at all possible. If
you cannot (e.g. at the start of a sedimentation velocity experiment) do
not trust any information that depends on the shape of the gradient
(e.g. diffusion coefficient, thermodynamic or hydrodynamic
nonidealtity). For sed velocity, the position of the boundary is usually
still fairly well specifiec, so values of s tend to be OK.

CAMIS builds custom centerpieces and window holders for academic
researchers and the member companies of BITC. Given your extreme
patience waiting for the fluorescence system (finally done), we'll give
you an extra good price.
Best wishes,
Tom