[RASMB] Re: RASMB digest, Vol 1 #319 - 5 msgs

John Correia jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
Thu Jul 15 11:20:55 PDT 2004

Chi-Yuan

It is always helpful to make composite plots of the c(s) or g(s)
distributions so you can directly see the presence or I think in this
case the absence of concentration dependence.  Some people like to
normalize the plots by dividing by the area under the total curve.  Make
both those composite plots and look at the data and tell us again what
you see!  The extra stuff at larger s is most likely just a sensitivity
issue, you see it because you raised the concentration of all
aggregates.  This does display the amazing ability of AUC to fractionate
broad distributions.

I ask again - reducing agent? cys in the sequence?

If this had really been a reversibly interacting system, why would you
expect to see peaks?  c(s) has a tendency to make peaks, even for
reacting boundaries.  It is the tendency to over interpret those peaks
that one must guard against.  Others have pointed out the amazing
ability of c(s) to see small amounts of aggregates, something of special
interest in the biotech area.  In this case the peaks in fact suggest
even the major species are aggregates.

After all the discussion about how to use sedfit and analysis of
distributions, what did you expect to learn from integrating these
peaks?

>>> "medakachou" <ls890067 at ndmctsgh.edu.tw> 07/14/04 10:16PM >>>
Dear RASMB,

I attached a pdf file (distribution.pdf) containing c(s) distribution
plot
at high and low protein conecentration. The parameters are included,
also
the rmsd, f/f0, residual bitmap. p = 0.68 and the resolution is 250
(smin to
smax is 0.1 to 25). Thanks everyone's comments and suggestion.

Chi-Yuan Chou
PhD student, the Institutes of Life sciences, National Defense Medical
Center, Taipei, Taiwan
e-mail: r6243023 at yahoo.com.tw
Lab homepage: http://www.enzkin.org/