[RASMB] Intensity of the Xenon flash lamp

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Mon Jul 12 13:56:01 PDT 2004

Karel,

There is no absolute scale for these lamp intensities---the readings for a
good, clean lamp will vary significantly from instrument to instrument both
because the lamp outputs vary somewhat and because the gain of the
photomultipliers varies. Thus a reading of 6000 may indeed be normal
(maximum possible) for your instrument.

I agree with Bo that the true test is what is the noise level, and more
importantly whether your data are noisier now than in the past. That test
should be done by scanning an empty hole and calculating the r.m.s.
deviation around the mean (the mean of course in principle should be zero).
By that test most instruments will give rms levels of 0.003-0.004 OD, but
again really only a history for your instrument will establish what is
normal.

Regarding the monochromator moving issue, there was a software problem in
certain older versions of the instrument firmware (the firmware was sending
a wavelength seek command when none was needed, which sometimes caused the
monochromator to move). But I don't think that problem exists in versions
newer than perhaps ~7 years old.

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories