[RASMB] difference of p = 0.95, 0.68 and 0.55, the confidence level in the sedfit c(s) distribution

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Mon Jul 12 13:51:00 PDT 2004

Sorry Arthur but I have to strongly disagree with your statement that the
peaks from SEDFIT's least-squares g(s) method are Gaussians to a good
approximation. You are making the assumption that this approach is really
equivalent to Walter's original method, but it is not. Peter has never
published any theory showing this Gaussian assumption is true. Fundamentally
there is no reason I can see to believe that a least-squares fitter using a
model that assumes no diffusion should always produce a Gaussian peak when
applied to data broadened by diffusion.

While your statement is probably true in certain cases (particularly for
high mass species and when you use a high degree of smoothing), it is quite
easy to show it is NOT true in general, as I have done, by simulating a
single species of say 20 kDa and then calculating the ls-g(s) distribution.
The result will be distinctly non-Gaussian.

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories