[RASMB] difference of p = 0.95, 0.68 and 0.55, the confidence level in the sedfit c(s) distribution

Jacob Lebowitz lebowitz at helix.nih.gov
Mon Jul 12 11:45:00 PDT 2004

Since Peter is on a long vacation, I will attempt to answer your
question.  You can integrate the peaks by pressing the ctrl and I keys
simultaneously which will give you a dialog box that states that you should
hold the right mouse button down and draw a rectangle to cover the s range
to be integrated. You will see once you do the integration you will obtain
both the % of the loading signal in the integration range and the weight
average s value. Also the results box states that this integration it is
best done without regularization, confidence level of zero. Regularization
gives the most parsimonious distribution for  the confidence level that you
set. Total removal of regularization may give you too many peaks that will
merge at higher confidence levels. You can still integrate over multiple
peaks in the s range you have selected and compare the result with
integration of the distribution you obtain at higher confidence levels. In
my experience the integration results over the same s range are comparable
from no regularization to using settings of p = 0.68 to 0.95.  At the
latter p selections you have the more realistic description of the
sedimenting species. Hope that the above is clear.

Jack Lebowitz