[RASMB] Intensity of the Xenon flash lamp

Karel Planken k.l.planken at chem.uu.nl
Mon Jul 12 11:42:01 PDT 2004

Dear AUC user,
Because various people say different things about what the intensity of the
229/230 nm peak in the Xenon flash lamp emission spectrum should be: some
say it should be above 15.000, other say it should be above 4000 and the
Beckman instruction manual says above 6000 (a graph is shown with an
intensity of around 36.000), I would like to ask you what should it be and
how do I check my Signal to Noise ratio? Our intensity at 229 nm in the
emission spectrum of the Hamamatsu L 2435 '96-09 Xenon lamp is somewhat
below 6000, which was recorded at 5.9, 6.5, and 7.1 cm from the axis of
rotation through a windowless cell.
The service engineer is not willing to do anything about it because
according to him (and others he got in contact with) the intensity is within
the machines limitation as long as it is above 4000 @ 229 nm! So what should
I do (the lamp was cleaned over and over again as well as the slit
assembly)? Another problem we experience is that sedimentation velocity
profiles jump around despite that theyu are recorded at the same wavelength!
I would like to know if anyone has seen this before and more important how
can I solve my problem?

Thank you for your time and I will eagerly await your reply,

Karel Planken.