[RASMB] Urea question

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Apr 20 12:33:00 PDT 2004

Hi,

I was wondering if someone has experience with performing equilibrium
experiments in 1 M urea. I am concerned that in high speed experiments
there may be a density gradient forming that may affect buoyant density
and cause problems with standard model fitting. I haven't tried it yet and
would like to know if I should expect problems before I waste the sample.
I know that high NaCl concentrations can cause quite a problem in velocity
experiment, but there viscosity is also a problem. Peter, you have done
some work on this, any comments about urea? Or is the short column reducing
any effect to where it could be neglected?

Thanks,
-Borries