[RASMB] glycosylation in sigma value

Jacob Lebowitz lebowitz at helix.nih.gov
Fri Apr 2 10:36:00 PST 2004

Satinder,

Yes, you are correct re the first question, the partial specific volume of
a conjugated protein is the sum of the weight fraction X Vbar of each
respective component. In your case the components are protein and
glycosylation.  With respect to the second question you do not know the
carbohydrate composition therefore you do not know the Vbar of the
glycoprotein.  I suggest you look at the following paper: Lewis, M. S., and
R. P. Junghans. 2000. Ultracentrifugal analysis of molecular mass of
glycoproteins of unknown or ill-defined carbohydrate composition. Methods
Enzymol 321:136-49. They develop an equation for the Molar mass of the
glycoprotein in terms of the measured buoyant molar mass, protein molar
mass and values of Vbarprotein, Vbarglyc and density. The Vbarprotein is
known and you can test values of Vbarglyc on the total Mw of the
glycoprotein. The latter is not very sensitive to different values of
Vbarglyc. Non-lin will fit for buoyant molar mass values if you set p=1.00
and vbar=0. Then you apply the Lewis and Junghans' equation.

Jack Lebowitz