[RASMB] partial specific volume of protein in guanidine and urea

pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 05:22:00 PST 2004

Dear Yi-Ming,

I have a nasty feeling that the correct answer is to measure the density
increment (and hence derive v-bar as well as knowing rho-0) at each
guanidine or urea concentration.
Some years ago we were looking at the folding/dimerisation of the
DNA-binding domain from HPV-15 E2 protein and we did measure these for a
range of urea concentrations (Mok, Y.-K., de Prat Gay, G., Butler, P. J. &
Bycroft, M. (1996). Equilibrium dissociation and unfolding of the dimeric
human papillomavirus strain-16 E2 DNA-binding domain. Prot. Sci. 5,
310-319).  They changed in a pretty linear fashion, so one could
interpolate additional values, but I would not have been very confident
without having measured a number of points.

Yours,

Jo