[RASMB] how large a species is practical?

Joel Mackay j.mackay at mmb.usyd.edu.au
Tue Mar 9 17:47:01 PST 2004

hi all
I have had an industry chap come to me and want to explore the possibility
of using the AU as a means to check the quality and reproducibility of
preparations of an adjuvant (a mixture of stuff including saponins and
cholesterol that is added to antigens when injecting them - they apparently
help to promote an immune response to the antigen). The adjuvant forms
aggregates that appear to be of the order of 1 MDa - too big to be retained
on a sizing column.
My question is: am i likely to be able to record velocity data on such a
species. I realise that a quantitative analysis of the data may not be
feasible if these aggregates exhibit a wide range of sizes, but it may
simply be enough to discern differences between different preparations, for
his purposes.

Have any of you worked on such large things before, and/or on heterogeneous
systems such as these? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
cheers
joel

Dr Joel Mackay
NHMRC Senior Research Fellow
School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences
Building G08
University of Sydney,
Sydney, NSW 2006
Australia