[RASMB] Re: Fab - protein antigen association

A Keeble ak28 at york.ac.uk
Mon Mar 8 17:00:00 PST 2004

A good starting point would be to look at the literature involving hen egg
white lysozyme (HEL) as a lot of the basic work on antibody-antigen binding
has been carried out on this (by R. A. Mariuzza and others). A couple of
studies (particularly from M. G. Gore's lab) have recently looked at the
kinetics of the Ig binding domain of protein L binding to kappa light
chains.
    Fundamentally, increasing salt usually slows association rate constants
to the value due to hydrophobic interactions i.e., ~ 100,000 M-1 s-1 so you
would perhaps expect a similar thing to be true here. S.J. Smith-Gill has
observed that protein recognition involving HEL antibodies involves a lot
of electrostatic interactions in line with this. However Xavier KA &
Willson RC. (Biophys J. 1998 Apr;74(4):2036-45.) studying HEL binding to
the HyHEL-5 and HyHEL-10 antibodies did not find much of a salt dependence
on the association kinetics.
      I hope this helps a little

Anthony Keeble