[RASMB] fringe deviation

Allen Minton minton at helix.nih.gov
Wed Feb 18 18:52:01 PST 2004

Responding to Arthur's query:  Published treatments of nonideal SE by Wills
& Winzor, and by Behlke, correctly treat first order deviations from
ideality (2-body interactions), but become calculationally intractable
beyond the two-body interaction limit (ca 20-30 g/l total solute
concentration).  We have very recently published a rigorous treatment valid
for an arbitrary number of solute species over the entire range of
experimentally accessible concentration (up to several hundred g/l total
solute concentration): Zorrilla et al, Biophys. Chem. 108, 89-100: 2004.  I
will send a PDF to anyone requesting it.

Responding to Tom's comment:  He is correct in principle that Wiener
skewing can influence absorbance gradients, but we found empirically (see
my previous message for reference) that you need a huge RI gradient for
this to be manifested and such effects are HIGHLY non-linear in the
magnitude of the RI gradient: in general, if you don't see the dreaded
'black band' in an absorbance scan, you are ok, and even in scans
exhibiting a black band, absorbance data at radial positions clearly
outside of the 'black band' are ok.  Tom correctly emphasizes that the best
way to avoid these complexities is to keep solute gradients
modest.  Another plus for SE as against SV for studies of association
equilibria.

Best regards,
Allen