[RASMB] fringe deviation

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Tue Feb 17 08:39:00 PST 2004

Dear Barbara,
I concur with the replies of others, but wish to add a couple of quick
comments. As John Philo mentions, you working at concentrations where
both thermodynamic and hydrodynamic nonideality are significant. The two
forms of nonideality are different and have different (often opposite)
effects on the raw data, making them difficult to separate. If you stick
with equilibrium analysis, you will eliminate hydrodynamic nonideality,
and can get a better fix on the effects of thermodynamic nonideality.
Regarding the optical systems, it is important to note that it is the
*gradient* in the concentration that results in Weiner skewing, not the
concentration per se. If you can limit the steepness of your gradients
(or trim away the data from steep gradients), you will limit these effects.
Be aware that the absorbance optics are subject to the effects of
refractive gradients, too. If you have a steep concentration
(refractive) gradient, light can be deviated sufficiently that it will
not be detected by the absorbance detector. No adjustment of the
wavelength will overcome this problem. In fact, the tell-tale test for
this problem is to scan your sample at a wavelength where no absorbance
occurs- you will see a positive going peak in the data (the derivative
of the concentration profile, it turns out) where the gradient is steep.
You can help minimize the problems by using shorter pathlength cells and
reducing concentration gradients.
Best wishes,
Tom